Working as a delivery driver poses many risks, as car accidents are one of the leading causes of death in the United States.
However, there are some techniques you can use to help prevent yourself from getting hurt on the job.
Read on for delivery driver safety tips.
- Drive defensively - Utilizing defensive driving techniques is perhaps the best way to avoid being involved in an injury-sustaining car accident. The following are some ways to drive defensively:
- Stay alert
- Pay attention
- Expect the unexpected
- Leave lots of driving distance between vehicles
- Avoid aggressive drivers
- Neglect your distractions
- Know your route - Get familiar with the area you’re driving around. Know the ins and outs, so you can avoid hazards when needed.
- Don’t strain your muscles - When trekking heavier items to and from your vehicle, use a dolly or another device to help you move the objects from place to place.
- Watch where you walk - When you are walking your delivery load to its final destination, pay attention to where you’re walking. Do your best to avoid uneven pavements and hazards that could cause you to trip and fall.
- Carry minimal cash - Avoid carrying large sums of cash on your person while going from delivery to delivery.
- Hide the cash - Don’t leave any cash where it is visible to people passing by.
- Pay close attention to what’s around you - Be aware of any vehicles that follow you and take note.
- Don’t deliver directly to hotel rooms - Avoid making deliveries directly to hotel or motel rooms. Leave the delivery at the front desk and have the hotel employees handle the rest.
We’re Here to Help
If you’ve been injured as a result of an accident while working as a delivery driver, you may be entitled to compensation. Our Walnut Creek attorneys at Brand Peters LLP are highly skilled in this area of the law. Don’t hesitate to contact our firm with your case right away.
Call the San Francisco Bay Area lawyers at Brand Peters LLP today at (888) 245-6507 to speak with an accomplished attorney about your case.